At TapEngage, we spend a lot of time working with publishers who have both websites and apps. Many of their users don’t realize that an app is available and so publishers create fullscreen popup ads on their websites that drive viewers to “Download the app”.
Unfortunately, there’s no standard way to create these interstitials ads, each publisher has their own custom solution and many of the solutions are sadly, broken. This is not surprising, look at all the things a solution has to handle:
- Both orientations as well as changing orientations
- Different screen sizes and resolutions
- Properly switching between the zoom level of the underlying content and the interstitial
- User scrolling interactions
- Tracking users so they aren’t shown the ad too often
These ads tend to feel heavy weight and clunky, and make for ads that aren’t very effective.
To help solve the problem, we’re announcing the release of our interstitial library as a separate open-source script that publishers can use to serve interstitials in a uniform way. The initial release supports all versions of the iPad but we will soon offer support for other tablets as well as mobile phones.